Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Latest updates and highs and lows

Today is my last full day here. I have mixed feelings about returning to the real world. I am very excited to see my babies. I've heard nothing but good reports from neighbors who have checked on them periodically; I know they have stayed safe and been responsible. That gives my mama heart some peace. I'm excited to hug them and spend time with them again. I am NOT excited to go back to the everyday tasks of cooking, cleaning, planning our day, etc. It's been nice to feel a little spoiled this week in that regard. It's definitely not as fast-paced of a life here and it's been really nice to slow down and relax. I am sad to leave Scott but I know he is in good hands and where he needs to be. I'm sad to leave these people. I have a special place in my heart for Latino people. I lived and served among them for 18 months in the late 90s on my mission and that place became like a second home to me. These people are just so special, loving, down-to-earth and just all around wonderful people. It has been fun to get to know them, even for a short time. I am determined to brush up on my Spanish though when I get home. I still remember a lot, but there is a lot that I have forgotten and so much more to learn. 

Yesterday we met with the functional medicine doctor again to go over supplements. Finally, someone who can tell him how to heal instead of just prescribe med after med to mask the problem. We showed him the supplements Scott has been taking and he said he would make a list of the ones he should and shouldn't be taking and the doses of each. Yay, thank you! This will be so helpful. Then we talked to him about Scott's acid reflux and if he had any suggestions for that. He told us that the acid reflux medication Scott has been taking for over a decade has inhibited his ability to absorb certain nutrients and break down certain foods because it has blocked the acid in his stomach; that's what the stomach acid is supposed to do. Then he told us everything he had learned about acid reflux throughout his education and his career, but not in a condescending way. I could tell he really wanted to help us understand what was going on inside Scott's body. Then we talked about certain foods he should avoid in order to help his body heal as well. He will talk with the nutritionist and come up with a meal plan for Scott after he returns home. We also went over Scott's vital scan and thermography results. If you don't know what thermography is, it is like a CT scan, but without the radiation. It senses the heat in your body to spot abnormalities. (I had one done last year instead of a mammogram because I didn't want radiation in my breast and I really didn't want it smashed either. No thank you!) The results of those two tests showed that he is inflamed, which the nutritionist told me too, no surprise there. He is also low in magnesium, potassium and cortisol. He will put together a supplement plan for him based on the test results and his acid reflux issues. It's going to be a major lifestyle change for him when he gets home, especially regarding his diet. I know it will be tough, but he is determined to improve his health so he can live life to the fullest. I was so proud of him as he explained things to the doctor and asked for some direction. He didn't just sit there and listen. He's really being proactive now and it was empowering to see him stand up for himself. I think he is feeling relieved too that someone finally has the answers and will work with him to figure this out! :)

I attended a nutrition class yesterday and loved it! Some of the stuff I already knew and have sort of implemented, and some stuff I didn't know. It gave me a good base on which to adjust some things in our household in regards to the food that we put into our bodies. Baby steps. I know it will benefit our entire family throughout our lives to implement these practices. I feel empowered to make these small changes to help me and my family have optimal health.

Scott also started a new treatment yesterday. It's a natural kind of immunotherapy which isn't allowed in the US. That makes me feel like a criminal when I type that. But only for a split second; then I tell myself it's been proven to help heal so many people with cancer. It's only federal regulations that make it illegal, and that's not saying much. 

Most times when we sit down to eat as a family, we go around the table and ask each person to share a "high" during the day and a "low." We do this mostly to have a structured conversation and avoid (hopefully) everyone talking at the same time, but also to help us recognize the good and bad things in life and how they make us feel and how to work through those feelings. So I'm going to do the same thing on this blog - share some "highs" and "lows" about my stay here.

Highs

  • We are right across the street from the beach.
  • Life is slower paced here; so relaxing.
  • I ate the most delicious sliced mango in a cup from a street vendor.
  • Everyone is soooooo nice!
  • I remember a lot of Spanish and it's been fun to practice it.
  • I know this is where Scott needs to be right now in order to restore his health.
  • These doctors really want to help people. 😁
  • The weather has been fantastic!
  • The kids are rocking it at home, being responsible and spending time together.
  • The food is amazing!
  • It's beautiful here. I could live here. 
  • Every patient we have met here has said they wish they'd known about this earlier, this place is the best they've been to, it's helped them so much, etc. And they're all so nice too.
  • Every day there is a daily devotional! I'm not sure there would be anything like that in the US. I wanted to participate one day, so I hung out in the room where it's held. Some of the employees and patients stood in a circle and each took turns offering a vocal prayer. I was in the circle so I said one too. It was way different than any other religious thing I've participated in and a little awkward for me, but it was wonderful to feel the love of each person to the others in the circle and to hear other's testimonies of Christ through their prayers. 
  • I have learned so much through coming here and feel like all of my research has been so worth it! I've been inspired with some good ideas on how to make some lifestyle changes for myself and encouraging the kids to do the same. 
  • My birthday is tomorrow! And that's the day I go home! How many people can say that they get to be in two different countries on their birthday?! 😊

Lows

  • The beach is closed! Stupid COVID! We can take pictures of it but can't walk on it. 😠😢
  • We couldn't stand in line together at the Wal-Mart when we went to get some things we forgot at home. I had to wait at the front of the store while Scott stood in line to pay. I saw two women standing in line together about five places behind him. They weren't asked to separate. Reverse racial profiling?! Interesting.
  • I don't remember as much Spanish as I thought I did. Time to brush up and learn some more.
  • It's going to be really hard when Scott gets home to maintain the diet and some of the treatments. He can do it; just needs to dedicate the time.
  • Sometimes I'm rather bored as I sit around for Scott to do treatments. At least I have my blogs, my books and social media to keep me occupied.
  • I miss my kids.
  • I hope I can re-create some of these recipes at home. I wish I could take one of these cute little Mexican ladies home with me to be my cook. 😆
  • Scott's cough hasn't really subsided. We don't know if it's from the cancer, reflux, inflammation or all three. Hopefully by the end of his stay, it will have gone down. 
  • Since COVID hit, the passport office has been partially "shut down". I filed for a passport the first part of March, and as of right now, I still don't have it. The people here aren't too worried, and neither am I, about me getting over the border since I've only been here a week. I have my birth certificate and driver's license and that should be sufficient. But still, the unknown is hard.
That's all for now! Thanks for reading! My next post will be full of pictures of our adventures here and I'll post that when I get home. Love to all! Nos vemos!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday! I'm so glad to know that things feel so right about getting these treatments. I hope that all continues to go in the right direction. Thanks for the updates. Save travels home.

    ReplyDelete